Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 49


Here is the recipe I just put up for the Week 7 surprise comp.....

Spicy Tomato & Beef Casserole (Mild)

Dinner ( 4 x 350g serves = 301 Cals per serve)

This takes a little while to actually cook, but it is very quick to prepare. I use my lovely cast iron casserole dish that can go on the stove top and in the oven. I usually do it on the weekend when I am home in the afternoon. I don’t have a slow cooker, but I wonder if it would be suitable to cook one??

Ingredients
500g Heart Smart Casserole Beef (or Lean steak cubed)
1 Med Brown Onion - Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
2 Med Carrots - Chunky Chopped
4 Sticks Celery - Chunky Chopped
2 Cups of Beef stock
2 410g Cans of Ardmona Thick & Rich Crushed Tomtoes (I can Plain & 1 can roasted Capsicum)
1 Teaspoon Dried Mixed Herbs
1 Teaspoon Masterfoods Tuscan Seasoning
1/2 -1 Teaspoon of Keens Traditional Curry Powder (If you like it hot….you might like to add something extra to add a bit of after burn…...LOL)

Process

Brown the beef, onion & garlic in a little oil.
Add the rest of the ingredients and heat till the liquid just comes to the boil.
Cover (with a lid or foil) and pop into the oven…bake for 90 min at 180 degrees. Remove the lid and bake for a further 30 min. (Those cooking times are what works in my oven…..you may need to adjust for yours…..)

Tips
If you feel the sauce as reduced too much, add water until it reaches a consistency you are happy with.

Alternate Serving suggestion:
Although a bowl of this casserole is delicious on its own you can reduce the portion size and serve with some sides.Out of these ingredients I got 7 x 200g serves.

‘200g Serve Of Casserole = 175 Cals
1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice =122 Cals
50g Steamed Zucchini = 9 Cals
50g Steamed Broccoli = 16 Cals
Total = 322 Cals

No comments:

Post a Comment